(1) What is an Er glass?The glass doped with Er as well as ytterbium ions is Er glass; Glasses doped with erbium, ytterbium, and also chromium ions are likewise erbium glasses; the dual bonded crystal of erbium glass, as well as white glass, is additionally erbium glass. The glass substrate concerned is not common glass but phosphate glass. This paper mainly presents Er, Yb doped glass. Er3+, Yb3+ co-doped phosphate glass (Er, Yb: phosphate glass) is a popular and generally made use of the energetic tool for lasers generating in the “eye-safe” scary collection of 1,5-1,6 µm.
(2) What is phosphate glass?Phosphate glass is a glass material that mainly has phosphorus pentoxide (P2O5) as well as usually also consists of other chemical parts. It can be utilized as a laser gain medium in bulk and fibre. Its primary advantage is its high compatibility with rare-earth ions (see rare-earth-doped gain media), such as Erbium (Er3+), ytterbium (Yb3+), and also neodymium (Nd3+) ions. To put it simply, the phosphate glass species can be doped with a high concentration of laser-active rare earth ions without creating damaging results such as clustering, which will certainly produce a quenching effect and also impact the efficiency of the laser. The doping focus in phosphate erbium-doped fibre is a lot greater than that in quartz fibre, and it can enhance by numerous percentage points. The high doping concentration of phosphate makes it possible for short fibre lasers and amplifiers, which are not the only advantages of the glass however additionally include:
- The brief fibre laser resonator can acquire a big complimentary spectrum array, making it less complicated to accomplish single-frequency procedures.
- Dispersed feedback lasers are brief, whereas extremely drugged phosphate fibres enable extra reliable pump absorption.
- Ultrashort pulsed fibre lasers are less vulnerable to nonlinear results if they utilize much shorter fibres.